Mother of a Special One

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Not sure where to start

If you or others suspect that your child may be not developmentally right, talk with your husband, babysitter, and gather information. Find out what they are seeing. Then I would recommend a trip, or a phone call to the doctor. He/she can recommend further testing. I believe in many places, if a child is under 3 the county pays for the testing, not the family. In my area, if a child is under 3 then they come under what is called "Early Intervention". There is a coordinator assigned to the family. He/she will facilitate testing, paperwork, and help if needed.

In my son's case, he was approx 16-18 months(by the time all testing/paper work was done) when he was tested and declared to have a speech delay. He also had some large or gross motor skills delay, so he had physical therapy for a while, in addition to speech. Later when physical therapy ended, he needed occupational therapy to work with his fine motor skills. The coordinator worked on getting all the right people in to see my son. She also helped us to get a what I call a 'toy person' (my definition, I forget what the real name was). Every few weeks a lady would bring in a variety of toys for my son to play with to help him with either his speech or fine motor skills. I was allowed to choose the toys that I wanted, and that he showed interest in, and keep them until she came back. We also discussed what other toys she had available, and what she could bring next time to help him with his skill development.

I believe once a child turns three in all areas of the country, the jurisdiction goes from the county to the local school district. They then are responsible for overseeing his/her care, arranging for evaluation of development, arranging for services, etc... If a child is preschool age, then the committee of the school district is called PCSE~Preschool Committee on Special Education....if they are school age then the committee responsible is the CSE~ Committee on Special Education.

There are people out there in these various stages to help you, who are suppossed to help us parents, rely on them, ask questions, and ask the doctor questions.

2 Comments:

  • Even though I'm not a mom (yet), I have babysat kids whose moms are in denial about the possibility of one of their children having special needs. I'd jsut like to urge anyone in that position to honestly look into this. Our kids deserve all the love we can give them, and part of that love includes the practical side of adapting to their own specialized needs.

    Thank you, ampraisingHim, for hte post!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 05, 2006 5:36 AM  

  • As we start PT I will get to know alot of new things I am sure and have already in the few short weeks we have our precious bundle!

    By Blogger Basketcollector, at September 20, 2006 2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home