Mother of a Special One

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Dealing with acid reflux

Since my son was diagnosed with acid reflux at about 4 weeks of age...I want to write about how we dealt with it. In time gone by...children with acid reflux were often dubbed as fussy, coliccy (sp?), having colic, and a hard to handle baby. But with lifestyle changes, acid reflux can be handled. Most of these suggestions were told to me by a doctor when he was hospitalized at a little over a month old:

1. SCHEDULE....put the baby on a schedule. Have him/her eat, sleep, wake, etc at about the same time. Their stomachs need to be on a schedule, and also given time to digest.
2. Position.....after eating we found that he needed to be upright, either in a car seat, something, that would prop him up so his stomach could have time to digest. Much jiggling, or movement, caused a spit-up.
3. I often would stop and burp him frequently during a feeding, and then have him sit on my lap for several minutes until I put him in a seat. Often if I rushed this process, the moment that I went to stand up, he would spit-up.
4. Have cloth diapers available. I put one on my shoulder, one on my arm, and even held one near his mouth to catch spit-up. He was very vulnerable, and easily spit-up so those were very necessary.
5. We limited who, and how much movement, and handling he had, especially in the early months. The more jouncing, bouncing, especially after a meal, the more upset he would be.
6. The dr. placed him on a very easily digestable formula. It was expensive. We qualified for WIC to help pay for his food.
7. We did not give him juice as a baby. Two different doctors told us that he did not need the acid, nor the empty calories. We did give water. Even to this day, his juice is limited.
8. When he started on baby jar foods, we found that he didn't like the 'meals', i.e. spaghetti and sauce. We limited the sauce meals, and just used table food cut really small.
9. We avoided spicy foods.
10. We made sure (and still do) that he eats an early supper, to give his body time to digest before bed.
11. We rarely went out late at nights....his system would suffer, tiredness, cranky, etc.
12. He was a fussy baby, but we tried the best we could.
13. He would often sleep better in his car seat, than laying down flat in his crib. The dr. said that was fine, eventually he would feel better in his crib, and he did! We also used a baby prop, (my name...I don't know the real name) to keep him on his side, when in a crib. Also once comfortable in a crib, we raised the head of the mattress, by putting either a blanket or a pillow under the mattress, so he wouldn't get caught in it. By having his head higher than the rest of his body, that allows for easier digestion.

Feel free to ask any questions, and I'm praying for all those reading this that have babies with acid reflux.

3 Comments:

  • Thanks so much for the info we are finding and using alot of these techniques already...lol I'll be staying in touch tho ty for sharing.

    By Blogger Basketcollector, at September 21, 2006 11:05 AM  

  • I don't mean to take away from the post, because the tips on this subject are very good indeed. However, babies do not have acid reflux. Only reflux. They are too small to develop acid at such a young age. The acid comes much later. Therefore, there is no potential damage to the esophagus. Not, that this matters to your post. Because like I said, the tips are good and parents with babies who have reflux can certainly use these tips. But as a child health care nurse, this term "acid reflux," when referring to an infant, always bugs me. LOL

    ~Sylvia

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 25, 2006 10:07 AM  

  • Welcome Sylvia, thanks for your comments. I'm only going by what was told to me by a couple of different drs. as well as the fact that before my son was two he had to be hospitalized again for procedures such as an endoscopy to see how much damage the acid had done to his esophagus, as well as a twentyfour hr. ph probe, down thru his nose, and into his stomach....not an easy thing for a mom to watch her son go thru. I hope you have a blessed day as you minister to the children under your care.

    By Blogger ampraisingHim, at September 25, 2006 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home